US: Coke wins university reprieve
Coca-Cola Co. has pointed to its "ongoing, constructive engagement" with the University of Michigan for the institution's decision to allow Coke products to be sold on its campuses after a three-month ban.
The university, which has more than 50,000 students on its three campuses, was among at least 12 schools that had joined a Coke boycott. The schools have been protesting against Coke's labour and environmental practices in Colombia and India.
Coke had been unable to reach an agreement with the university on an independent review of its practices in the two countries. However, a Coke spokesperson told just-drinks today (12 April) said agreement had been reached to allow the sale of its products once more.
"The University's decision was based upon facts and we appreciate its diligence in reviewing our commitments to conduct business responsibly and with the utmost respect for both the environment and for our employees," she said.
"We will continue to work with the University of Michigan to address issues of concern regarding our operations in Colombia and India."
Functional drinks have been a growth area of the US soft drinks market since the late-1990s. Roger Dilworth reports on the development of the sector and current brand activity....
The managing director of Coca-Cola Amatil's (CCA) South Korean unit has taken extended leave, according to press reports....
The Coca-Cola Co. is set to return to Iraq after more than 20 years....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated has announced that it has closed its debenture exchange offer....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has had its rating upgraded....
Coca-Cola has launched a green tea in Thailand under the ShiZen brand....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. has seen its Q1 net income plunge....
The Coca-Cola Co has been hit by a class action....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Tsingtao Brewery issues profits warning
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends