UK: Coke quashes Dasani revival prospects
Coca-Cola GB has described fresh claims that it might revive Dasani in the UK as "way off-beam".
A story in trade magazine Marketing Week yesterday (3 August) said that Coke GB was mulling the return of the ill-fated Dasani. The company pulled Dasani after its launch two years ago following a health scare and amid revelations that it was no more than treated tap water.
Marketing Week cited sources close to Coke saying that the return of Dasani was a "strong option" as it looked to re-enter the buoyant UK bottled water market. One source told the magazine: "Maybe with a strong look and GBP10m (US$19m) thrown at advertising we'll find consumers have short memories."
However, a Coke spokesman flatly denied that Dasani was part of the company's plans in the UK. "That's as off-beam as you can get. We have categorically said that we have no intention of relaunching Dasani in any way, shape or form," he told just-drinks.
The spokesman said Coke was "keen" on the water market but that it was too early to announce its plans to enter the category.
This week, The Coca-Cola Co. snapped up niche US firm Fuze Beverage. The acquisition signals a realisation from Coca-Cola Co. that it needs to bolster its presence outside the carbonates market in the...
Coca-Cola HBC is "exploring" the idea of producing the traditional Russian bread drink kvas....
The Coca-Cola Co. has bolstered its non-carbonates portfolio with the acquisition of US firm Fuze Beverage....
The Coca-Cola Co. has relaunched its flagship juice brand Minute Maid in Sweden and added two extensions to the range....
Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines has been cleared of sacking 14 union officers unfairly....
Coca-Cola Espana has appointed Fernando Amenedo as its new general manager....
The Coca-Cola Co. is to relaunch its mineral water brand Malvern....
The Coca-Cola Co. is to relaunch Fanta in India as it looks to tap into growing demand for fruit carbonates in the south of the country....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends