USA: Coke Protests Get Scarce Audience
Although upstaged by larger, louder protests of the previous day, a caravan of current and former Coca-Cola employees made a brief stop in the nation's capital Tuesday to accuse the soft drink manufacturer of racial discrimination.The so-called "Ride for Corporate Justice" began Saturday in Atlanta, where the company is based, and concludes Wednesday at The Coca-Cola Co. shareholders meeting in Wilmington, Del.But when the riders got to Washington, most members of Congress had gone home for the Easter recess, and few people turned out to greet them.Rain forced their news conference inside, but more than 30 protesters in red baseball caps applauded the caravan's organizer, former human resources manager Larry Jones."We want to enlighten the world that discrimination exists at the Coca-Cola company," Jones said.Eight black employees at Coca-Cola have filed a federal lawsuit alleging the corporation denies blacks fair pay, promotions, raises and performance reviews. The company has denied those charges and is attempting settle the lawsuit.Jones said he was relieved his bus arrived in Washington one day after thousands of other protesters blocked downtown traffic to protest actions by the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.Jones stopped short of calling for a boycott because he didn't want to "declare war" on the company, but he said he doubted the group would receive a fair hearing at the Delaware shareholders meeting."How many more lawsuits do we need?" he said. "We don't want just an oblique move to the left. What we are looking for is a fundamental, structural change to that company."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review