INDIA: Coke, Pepsi hauled to Supreme Court - report
The move follows the publication of a report this week claiming that 11 brands owned by the two companies contain pesticides. The Supreme Court has subsequently ordered Coke and Pepsi to supply details of the chemical composition and ingredients of their products.
The report by the Centre of Science and Environment (CSE) found that tests on 57 samples of Coke and Pepsi brands found 24 times more pesticide than permitted.
Coke and Pepsi countered by saying that they have worked with the government, scientific community and NGOs "to establish stringent science-based norms".
A report by Agence France Presse today (4 August) cites Vijay Kumar Malthora of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party saying: "These companies are playing with the lives of millions and we can't ignore such warnings any more.
"The time has now come to ban both Pepsi and Coke," he added.
The two companies have been given four weeks to respond to the court's request.
This week, The Coca-Cola Co. snapped up niche US firm Fuze Beverage. The acquisition signals a realisation from Coca-Cola Co. that it needs to bolster its presence outside the carbonates market in the...
Coca-Cola HBC is "exploring" the idea of producing the traditional Russian bread drink kvas....
Coca-Cola HBC (CCHBC) is to invest EUR12.5m (US$16.2m) on building a plant on the Greek island of Crete....
The Coca-Cola Co. has bolstered its non-carbonates portfolio with the acquisition of US firm Fuze Beverage....
The Coca-Cola Co. has relaunched its flagship juice brand Minute Maid in Sweden and added two extensions to the range....
PepsiCo bottler PepsiAmericas has warned of "substantially higher" raw material costs this year after seeing such expenses - and falling carbonates volumes - hit earnings in 2006....
PepsiCo has been found guilty of breaking advertising regulations in Russia....
The Pepsi Bottling Group expects operating profit to rise by up to 4% this year on the back of rising sales in the US and overseas. PBG, the world's largest PepsiCo bottler, outlined its forecast for ...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future