US: Coke dismisses benzene lawsuit claim
The lawsuit, issued in Kansas on Friday (25 August) alleges that tests on Coke's Vault Zero beverage found 13 parts per billion of benzene, considerably higher than the US Environmental Protection Agency's 5ppb limit for drinking water.
Coke's Vault Zero was added to the lawsuit alongside PepsiCo's Diet Wild Cherry and Kraft Food's Crystal Light Sunrise Classic Orange.
Coke has dismissed the claims, telling local reporters that the lawsuit is less about consumer safety and more about "lining lawyer's pockets".
"There is no supporting documentation to prove how these lawyers conducted these tests," a Coke spokesperson told reporters. "Their own press release indicates that they have abused the product with heat prior to testing."
Two other soft drinks companies, In Zone Brands and Talking-Rain Beverage, have settled separate lawsuits on the level of benzene in their products. The companies agreed to change their ingredients and to offer refunds to customers on the original products. Both companies denied, however, that their products caused any harm.
The issue of benzene in soft drinks blew up again in March, when the US Food and Drug Administration said that the presence of benzene - linked with leukaemia - at low ppb was not an imminent health hazard.
The announcement of major restructuring and 3,500 job losses at Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) says as much about The Coca-Cola Company as it does about its largest bottler. Annette Farr examines the und...
Mexican soft drinks bottler Embotelladoras Arca saw profits rise 14% last year thanks to growing volumes across the business....
PepsiAmericas has given details of its latest dividend payment....
US consumers will soon know how much caffeine is contained in Coca-Cola Classic. From May, The Coca-Cola Company will include caffeine content on the product's labelling as part of an industry initiat...
The Coca-Cola Company has sealed its move to take full control of its bottler in the Philippines....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has declared a quarterly dividend on its common stock....
The Coca-Cola Company has bought two Moldovan soft drinks brands from Efes Breweries International (EBI) for an undisclosed sum....
The US share watchdog has ended its probe into payments from PepsiCo to retail group Kmart, the soft drinks giant has said....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends