US: Coke Consolidated keen to join PowerAde spat
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated is keen to join Coca-Cola Co. and its largest bottler against other bottlers in the upcoming legal battle over the distribution of PowerAde in the US.
Some 60 US bottlers are trying to stop a plan by Coke and Coca-Cola Enterprises to offer a new system to distribute PowerAde to WalMart Stores.
Coke Consolidated said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday (3 March) that it has filed a motion for permission to intervene in the lawsuit.
Coke and CCE want to send PowerAde to Wal-Mart warehouses, instead of delivering it directly to the store. Coca-Cola Bottling said it filed to intervene because it also plans to offer warehouse delivery of PowerAde to Wal-Mart.
The 60 bottlers launched the legal action claiming breach of contract, breach of duty and other related claims.
The US bottling companies want injunctive relief prohibiting the warehouse delivery of PowerAde. The bottling companies are also "seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages", Coke Consolidated said.
The company failed to return a request for comment as just-drinks went to press.
As the original functional beverage, sports drinks are riding the wave of the health and wellness boom and consumer interest in good-for-you products, while new ingredients and product variants are fu...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Coca-Cola Enterprises has announced details of its regular quarterly dividend....
Coca-Cola Enterprises is in talks to acquire just over 50% of Bravo! Foods International Corp....
Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc. has received US$48.3m from the settlement of a price-fixing lawsuit against several major corn processors....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated has announced that it has closed its debenture exchange offer....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has had its rating upgraded....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research