GLOBAL: Cognac trade body hails "remarkable" 2011
Cognac exports top EUR2bn in 2011, says BNIC
Cognac exports broke the EUR2bn (US$2.6bn) barrier for the first time in 2011, according to figures from trade body BNIC, driven mainly by China's thirst for the premium French spirit.
Five bottles of Cognac were exported every second last year, the BNIC said this week. Export volumes reached 162.9m bottles for the 12 months to the end of December, up by 6.4% on 2010 and topping the record of 158m bottles set in 2007.
However, value sales performed even more strongly, rising by 7.5% to a record EUR2bn. The BNIC labelled the performance as "remarkable".
China's thirst for high-end Cognacs, the XO variant in particular, drove the sector's performance in 2011. Global sales of XO Cognac increased by 15% for the year.
The Far East accounted for nearly 36% of all Cognac exports by volume in 2011, increasing its share by 14% on 2010. Exports to China rose by 20% in volume, to 22.6m bottles.
In November, analyst group Sanford Bernstein said that China's Cognac boom showed no sign of slowing. "[Pernod Ricard's] Martell is likely to continue to be the fastest grower because it has the highest exposure to high growth/XO China," it said.
For a just-drinks graphic of the top ten Cognac markets by volume, click here.
Earlier this week, we ran part one of our interview with the CEO of Remy Martin, Patrick Piana. Here, in the second and concluding part, Piana looks at the emerging markets as well as the mature marke...
In the whisky category, it would appear that, while the big are getting bigger, the small are getting... more proliferative. This month, Ian Buxton considers the boom in craft distillers and flags up ...
Pernod Ricard has escaped a sanction from the Advertising Standards Authority after the body rejected a complaint over an advert for Chivas Regal blended Scotch whisky. ...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015