GLOBAL: Cognac trade body hails "remarkable" 2011
Cognac exports top EUR2bn in 2011, says BNIC
Cognac exports broke the EUR2bn (US$2.6bn) barrier for the first time in 2011, according to figures from trade body BNIC, driven mainly by China's thirst for the premium French spirit.
Five bottles of Cognac were exported every second last year, the BNIC said this week. Export volumes reached 162.9m bottles for the 12 months to the end of December, up by 6.4% on 2010 and topping the record of 158m bottles set in 2007.
However, value sales performed even more strongly, rising by 7.5% to a record EUR2bn. The BNIC labelled the performance as "remarkable".
China's thirst for high-end Cognacs, the XO variant in particular, drove the sector's performance in 2011. Global sales of XO Cognac increased by 15% for the year.
The Far East accounted for nearly 36% of all Cognac exports by volume in 2011, increasing its share by 14% on 2010. Exports to China rose by 20% in volume, to 22.6m bottles.
In November, analyst group Sanford Bernstein said that China's Cognac boom showed no sign of slowing. "[Pernod Ricard's] Martell is likely to continue to be the fastest grower because it has the highest exposure to high growth/XO China," it said.
For a just-drinks graphic of the top ten Cognac markets by volume, click here.
Earlier this week, we ran part one of our interview with the CEO of Remy Martin, Patrick Piana. Here, in the second and concluding part, Piana looks at the emerging markets as well as the mature marke...
In the whisky category, it would appear that, while the big are getting bigger, the small are getting... more proliferative. This month, Ian Buxton considers the boom in craft distillers and flags up ...
Pernod Ricard has escaped a sanction from the Advertising Standards Authority after the body rejected a complaint over an advert for Chivas Regal blended Scotch whisky. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review