FRANCE: Cognac shipments to China hit record levels - figures
The latest figures from Cognac trade body BNIC show that exports to China reached record levels for the 12 months to November.
"Exports shipped directly to China showed an increase of 73.8% to 31,969 hectolitres, but important volumes bound for the country also pass via Singapore which is a distribution hub for South East Asia," a BNIC spokesperson told just-drinks today (19 December).
"Global exports to China probably totalled 70,000 hectolitres, an increase of around 20% on the previous 12 months. This volume compares with exports of 155,000 hectolitres to the US, by far our biggest market."
Commenting on China's growing taste for Cognac, the spokesperson said: "There is nothing to indicate that export growth to China will not continue in its current vein. Chinese society is becoming steadily richer and Cognac is now within the purchasing range of a greater number of consumers, for whom it is viewed as a luxury from the West. China is a connoisseurs' market too, there being a preference for superior quality, older Cognacs."
Exports to all markets in the 12-month period rose by 4.6% with growth led by Asia (+10.5%). Volumes to North America increased by 4.6% and to Europe by 0.2%.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
In anticipation of the London International Wine Fair, Chris Losh has put together a few questions, touching on some of the imponderable puzzlements of the drinks industry, for visitors to mull over, ...
The Cognac market - or at least the VSOP-and-above part of it - is riding the crest of a wave and will be finding it increasingly difficult to meet demand. But having seen booms and busts before, Chri...
Camus Cognac has set up a new regional sales office in Vietnam and reorganised its commercial team in Asia/Pacific....
Grand Marnier is set to launch a seven-figure advertising and promotional campaign next month focused on a new summer cocktail Grand Esprit....
Diageo's Smirnoff vodka brand has held the top spot in this year's Intangible Business 'Power 100' chart for the third year running....
Maxxium Global Travel Retail has announced the appointment of Mariska Van Beukering to the position of marketing manager for Europe South and Middle East....
Rémy Cointreau has posted a slight lift in full-year turnover. The French Champagne and spirits group said today (17 April) that organic growth for the 12 months to 31 March came in 9.7% % up year-on-...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends