FRANCE: Cognac shipments lift, not in crisis - BNIC
Global shipments of Cognac were up 3.1% last month, thanks to a surge in the US, according to the region's trade body, BNIC.
Global shipments for the rolling 12-month period to 30 November were down 6.6% in volume and 4% in value, compared to a year earlier, however.
Volumes totalled 148.7m bottles, while the value of shipments was just over EUR1.6bn (US$ 2.34bn).
"The 12-month picture more accurately represents the prevailing trend as shipments can fluctuate quite considerably from one month to the next simply as a result of buyers advancing or postponing their purchases," a spokesman for the BNIC told just-drinks today (18 December).
"Shipments are down but these figures in no way point to a growing crisis in the sector. 2007 was an exceptional year and 2008, while less strong, will nevertheless be very good."
The value of shipments had fallen less than volumes as a result of the now-established customer preference for more upmarket, higher-priced Cognacs, he said.
Spirits such as soju and cachaça may be less well known than vodka and whisky, but according to a new report from IWSR and just-drinks, could offer considerable benefits to multinationals, both in und...
The global drinks consumer is heading for "safety" when it comes to drinks brands, according to a recent report....
Already battling the recession, those attending next week's Tax Free World Association (TFWA) Asia Pacific Exhibition are nervously watching developments in the swine flu outbreak, remembering the adv...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Rémy Cointreau, the French Champagne and Cognac group, has blamed destocking in key markets during the economic downturn for a 13% drop in net sales in its fiscal full-year....
French wines and spirits exports will fall 20% in value this year, trade body Fédération des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux (FEVS) has said....
Beam Global Spirits and Wine's Courvoisier brand is to launch an initiative in the UK designed to help consumers understand cognac....
Fortune Brands has reported a 93% dive in first quarter net profits, with sales at Beam Global Spirits & Wine down by more than 5%....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India