CHINA: Cognac sees "temporary slowdown" - analyst
After three years of growth, Cognac sales in China appear to be tailing off
Cognac sales growth in China is continuing to tail off and companies are expected to report a "temporary slowdown" in the last two quarters of this calendar year, according to analysts.
Since July, sales have slowed and consumption growth "seems to be moderating", analysts Kepler said in a note today (21 September). However this comes off the back of three years of "very strong" volume growth for the category in the country.
Kepler said the slowdown was likely the result of a "weaker macro, as well as less drinking/gifting, ahead of the October political elections".
It said it expects the mid-autumn festival and China's Golden Week - a seven-day national holiday starting on 30 September - to be "key" for Cognac producers, but said sales could go either way during the break.
"While we remain confident on Cognac's mid-term performance in China, we think calendar Q3 and Q4 publications could confirm a temporary slowdown," the note added.
Ever since Remy Cointreau put up the best part of US$90m for independent Islay distiller Bruichladdich last year, the Scotch industry has been wondering who's next in line for acquisition....
Loch Lomond Distillers has remained silent over speculation it is about to swallowed up in a private investor takeover. ...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages