CHINA: Cognac market still fertile despite slowdown - analyst
Hennessy has reinforced its position at the world's top Cognac brand, Bernstein said
China's Cognac market is slowing down but there is still plenty of room for growth, an analyst has said.
Cognac shipments to the country are increasing in the mid-to-high-single digit range compared to double-digit growth in past years, according to Sanford Bernstein. In a detailed note, released on Wednesday (21 November), the analyst predicted that high-growth market segments will be the main driver for global Cognac growth, while sales in the US are on course to outpace the country's other alcohol sectors.
“We see no sign of affluent Chinese consumers losing their taste for prestige Cognac, and we still see plenty of room for geographic expansion,” Bernstein said, adding that, while the Hennessy brand, which is 34%-owned by Diageo, has reinforced its leading global position, its market share in China is falling. “(Hennessy's) top-line trends are not as strong as its two closest rivals because of its higher relative exposure to lower-growth, and lower-value, VS Cognac in the US,” it said.
Global number two Martell, owned by Pernod Ricard, will benefit most from China's continued thirst for Cognac, although its reliance on sales there leaves it open to risks, Bernstein said. Rémy Cointreau's Remy Martin is the world's number three Cognac brand, with Beam Inc's Courvoisier fourth.
The analyst also said that strong growth in the US could add another string to the Cognac industry's bow, although US growth is more volume-driven than the highly premium Chinese market.
Bernstein said it expects 6% to 7% growth in global Cognac volumes over the next 12 months and 13% to 15% organic sales growth.
In September, analyst Kepler predicted that Q3 and Q4 Cognac sales in China are likely to face a "temporary slowdown".
The ten fastest-growing spirits brands in the US ranked by percentage increase in volume in 2012 versus 2011: ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages