FRANCE: Cognac harvest to plummet while demand rises
This year's round of reduced harvests across Europe has also hit the Cognac region, with a probable 30% reduction in availability of the ugni blanc grape on which Cognac is based.
The 2007 harvest, which started this week, is expected to yield only 90 hectolitres per hectare, in place of the usual 120hl, as rain and mildew took their toll.
The shortage coincides with a boom in Cognac sales with 160m bottles sold in 2006, and annual growth of nearly 10%.
Asked if the grape shortage could impact supply, Jerome Durand of the Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) said provisions had been put in place.
This year, Durand said, the bureau had planned to increase QNV levels - Quantité Normalement Vinifier or amount of grapes turned into Cognac - by 27%. Low yields mean the increase will be more like 14%, but this will still cover increasing demand, he said.
Having seen a healthy 7.2% rise in shipments in 2006, the global Cognac market is set for continued growth over the coming four years, according to a new report from just-drinks, with continued progre...
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
Marketing spirits as constituents in new or popular cocktails has been a feature of the spirits category for years. And the growing emphasis on attracting younger consumers has meant the cocktail has ...
As part of its strategy of premiumisation, Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum has announced plans to launch a rare 30 year old rum in the second quarter of this year....
Drinks Americas has made use of its tie-up with Interscope Geffen A&M Records by becoming the latest drinks company to team up with a well-known rap artist in the US....
Despite announcing record exports for 2007, the president of the Federation des Exportateurs de Vins et Spiritueux de France (FEVS) said this week that he is not optimistic about the immediate future ...
Vin & Sprit has completed the clearance of one of its Swedish facilities, with its Cognac production moving to Cognac, France....
Kindred Spirits, the Miami-based drinks importer, has announced that it has added two new liqueur brands, Heering Cherry Liqueur and Xante, to its portfolio....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- Sapporo’s Sapporo Premium Black - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages