FRANCE: Cognac fuels Remy Cointreau's Q1 sales rebound
Remy Cointreau Q1 sales jump
Net sales for the three months to the end of June rose by 19%, and by 24% including currency gains, to EUR170.9m (US$217.8m), Remy Cointreau said today (22 July).
A 38% rise in like-for-like Cognac sales helped the French drinks group to rebound from net sales of EUR138.3m in the first quarter of last year and overtake sales of EUR149.9m in the same period of 2008.
"The good growth by Rémy Martin continued to benefit from the highly positive dynamics in China and in Travel Retail," said the firm.
There were also signs that western markets have improved from a recession-hit 2009, with Remy reporting limited sales rises in the US and Europe for the quarter.
Champagne sales also showed signs of life, rising by almost 21% for the quarter to EUR16.7m. Sales rose by 23% on the previous year if currency gains are included.
However, it remains too early to talk of a recovery in the firm's Champagne division. Sales crumpled by 40% in the first quarter of last year.
"The Champagne division achieved renewed growth, particularly in France and Europe, whereas Japan and Australia were impacted by high inventory levels," said Remy.
The firm noted that the economic environment remained "uncertain".
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends