FRANCE: Cognac consolidation continues with Pernod Ricard Martell talks
Martell is hosting the talks with Le Maine au Bois
The company said earlier this week that the “exclusive negotiations” with the company's owner, Mr Lasalle, are being led by its Martell Cognac division. La Maine au Bois “is involved in distillation, storage and trade of eaux-de-vie” in the Cognac region, Pernod said.
No further details were given.
The news marks the latest consolidation move by the multi-national spirits companies in France. Late last year, Remy Cointreau signed an agreement to acquire family-owned Larsen Cognac for an undisclosed sum.
In a note to clients, released yesterday (7 February), analysts at Kepler Research suggested that the multi-nationals are looking to up their production presence in Cognac. “Such an acquisition could enable Martell to increase its storage capacities and better integrate the Cognac manufacturing process," the analysts said. “Indeed, until now, Cognac houses' know-how has been on the aging of eaux-de-vie and their blending into Cognac.
"Such an acquisition could increase Martell's know-how in the distillation of eaux-de-vie.”
The analysts cited figures, sourced from societe.com, showing that, in the 12 months to the end of August, Le Maine au Bois posted sales of EUR16.6m (US$22.4m) and net profits of EUR1.57m.
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018