SPAIN: Codorniu faces industrial action
Workers from Spanish Cava maker Codorniu will protest in Barcelona against the company's decision to move production from its Cervello to Sant Sadurni factories.
Over 150 workers will gather outside the company's headquarters in the Gran Via thoroughfare today (November 3) to decry the initiative, an official from top Spanish union Comisiones Obreras (CCOO) told just-drinks.
Cervello's 74 masons want the company to pay them an extra €200 annually until they retire or increase their daily wage for an extra 30 minutes, the time it takes to travel between Cervello to Sant Sadurni, the official explained.
"We are negotiating," a Codorniu spokeswoman said. She would not comment further.
The union official charged Codorniu with failing to explain the logic behind the shift to Sant Sadurni, which produces the Codorniu label.
"They say they want to move most workers to Sadurni in one year because they can produce more efficiently there, but they won't say anything else," the official said.
Codorniu is understood to want to leave some administration jobs at Cervello where it makes its Rondel brand.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages