USA: Coca-Cola Unveils New Vend Machines
Coca-Cola said Wednesday it will invest $100 million with a British communications and information technology firm to make "smart" vending machines that will tell bottlers when they're empty and allow for cashless purchases.The five-year deal with London-based Marconi PLC is designed to help Coke bottlers improve inventory management for more than 500,000 machines worldwide.The technology will allow distributors to know such things as when a machine is empty and which brands are selling best, Coke spokesman Trey Paris said.Ultimately, the technology will allow for cashless vending -- for example, allowing a customer to buy a beverage with a credit or debit card or by charging it to a cellular phone account, Paris said.In October, former Coke Chairman M. Douglas Ivester angered many consumers when he disclosed that the company was studying ways to remotely raise and lower vending machine prices depending on weather conditions.Paris repeated Coke's earlier assertion that the technology will not be used to increase prices."We would never apply it in ways that would take unfair advantage of consumers," he said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Edrington names European Travel Retail head
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets