USA: Coca-Cola Unveils New Vend Machines
Coca-Cola said Wednesday it will invest $100 million with a British communications and information technology firm to make "smart" vending machines that will tell bottlers when they're empty and allow for cashless purchases.The five-year deal with London-based Marconi PLC is designed to help Coke bottlers improve inventory management for more than 500,000 machines worldwide.The technology will allow distributors to know such things as when a machine is empty and which brands are selling best, Coke spokesman Trey Paris said.Ultimately, the technology will allow for cashless vending -- for example, allowing a customer to buy a beverage with a credit or debit card or by charging it to a cellular phone account, Paris said.In October, former Coke Chairman M. Douglas Ivester angered many consumers when he disclosed that the company was studying ways to remotely raise and lower vending machine prices depending on weather conditions.Paris repeated Coke's earlier assertion that the technology will not be used to increase prices."We would never apply it in ways that would take unfair advantage of consumers," he said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Leelex to open Portobello Road gin distillery
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends