US: Coca-Cola to recycle, reuse its plastic bottles
The Coca-Cola Company has unveiled plans to build the world's largest plastic-bottle-to-bottle recycling plant in the US.
The company said today (6 September) that it aims to invest over US$60m into reaching its goal to recycle or reuse 100% of its PET plastic bottles in the country.
Coca-Cola North America president Sandy Douglas said: "We have set an ambitious goal. Our investments in recycling infrastructure, coupled with our work on sustainable package design, will help us reach this target."
Coca-Cola and United Resource Recovery Corporation (URRC) have set out plans to build a 30-acre recycling plant in Spartanburg. The plant will produce approximately 100m pounds of food-grade recycled PET plastic for reuse each year, equivalent to nearly 2bn 20oz Coca-Cola bottles, the company said.
Douglas added: "The long-term sustainability of our business depends on our ability to ensure the sustainability of our packaging. This new recycling facility represents a significant milestone as we work to advance recycling in the US and ensure a strong end-market for our PET packaging."
National Recycling Coalition executive director Kate Krebs added: "Coca-Cola has staked a clear leadership position in its approach to sustainable packaging. The new Spartanburg plant represents an end-to-end recycling model that is world class and that I hope other industries will follow."
The plant will open next year and will be fully operational in 2009, said the company. Coca-Cola also confirmed it has invested in recycling facilities in Switzerland, Mexico, Austria and the Philippines.
A recent BBC TV documentary in the UK has re-opened the debate about the environmental costs of bottled water. Annette Farr believes the documentary was one-sided and irresponsible....
Coca-Cola Icecek has launched Coca-Cola Zero in Turkey. The zero calorie brand has now been launched in over 50 countries, including the US and UK....
Coca-Cola Amatil has appointed Catherine Brenner to its board as a non-executive director, effective from 2 April....
The president and COO of the Coca-Cola Co. has been nominated by the soft drinks group's board of directors to stand for election as a director of the company at the Annual Meeting of Shareowners in A...
The Coca-Cola company has secured an extension of its beverage contract with US restaurant chain Wingstop....
The Coca-Cola Company has announced the company's 46th consecutive annual dividend increase, it has said, raising the quarterly dividend 12% from 34 cents to 38 cents per common share....
Calypso has announced plans to launch a tropical juice addition to its soft drinks range to celebrate this year's Fairtrade Fortnight in the UK....
The Coca-Cola Co. has declared a long term goal to recycle or reuse all of the aluminium beverage cans that it sells in the US....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages