US: Coca-Cola speaks out over Olympics gay protest
The company has been criticised by gay rights campaigners in the US
The Coca-Cola Co has responded to a protest by gay rights campaigners in the US over its sponsorship of the Russian Winter Olympics, arguing that the company "celebrates diversity".
The protestors claim that the soft drinks group “supports hate” by backing the Games after Russia introduced an anti-gay propaganda law, Sky News reported today (29 August). Bottles and cans of Coca-Cola were emptied by demonstrators in Times Square, New York City, to register their dissatisfaction with the company.
However in a statement to just-drinks today (29 August), a Coca-Cola spokesperson said the company “values and celebrates diversity”.
“We have long been a strong supporter of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community and have advocated for inclusion and diversity through both our policies and practices,” the spokesperson added. “We do not condone human rights abuses, intolerance or discrimination of any kind anywhere in the world.”
Vodka brands have also faced the ire of campaigners opposed to Russia's new anti-gay laws. Bars in London, Australia and across the US have been boycotting brands such as Stolichnaya as part of opposition to the legislation. However, Stolichnaya-owner, the SPI Group has branded the new laws "dreadful" and says it supports the LGBT community.
The Coca-Cola Co in Health and Wellness (World)
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...read more
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
Cía Servicios de Bebidas Refrescantes, the local bottler of The Coca-Cola Co, has overcome difficulties derived from the economic recession to resist the constant pressure from private label, in most ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review