US: Coca-Cola speaks out over Olympics gay protest
The company has been criticised by gay rights campaigners in the US
The Coca-Cola Co has responded to a protest by gay rights campaigners in the US over its sponsorship of the Russian Winter Olympics, arguing that the company "celebrates diversity".
The protestors claim that the soft drinks group “supports hate” by backing the Games after Russia introduced an anti-gay propaganda law, Sky News reported today (29 August). Bottles and cans of Coca-Cola were emptied by demonstrators in Times Square, New York City, to register their dissatisfaction with the company.
However in a statement to just-drinks today (29 August), a Coca-Cola spokesperson said the company “values and celebrates diversity”.
“We have long been a strong supporter of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community and have advocated for inclusion and diversity through both our policies and practices,” the spokesperson added. “We do not condone human rights abuses, intolerance or discrimination of any kind anywhere in the world.”
Vodka brands have also faced the ire of campaigners opposed to Russia's new anti-gay laws. Bars in London, Australia and across the US have been boycotting brands such as Stolichnaya as part of opposition to the legislation. However, Stolichnaya-owner, the SPI Group has branded the new laws "dreadful" and says it supports the LGBT community.
The Coca-Cola Co in Health and Wellness (World)
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...read more
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
Cía Servicios de Bebidas Refrescantes, the local bottler of The Coca-Cola Co, has overcome difficulties derived from the economic recession to resist the constant pressure from private label, in most ...
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review