Coca-Cola Sabco cuts Namibia production as water restrictions tighten - report
Coca-Cola Sabco is halting all canned production
Coca-Cola Sabco has halted production of canned beverages in Namibia because of a drought, according to a report.
The company's plant in Windhoek will also stop making glass bottles as water restrictions are placed on the capital city, AFP reported today. Another Sabco plant in the north of the country will continue to produce glass bottles while the Windhoek factory will maintain production of plastic bottle beverages.
The move follows worsening drought conditions in southern Africa that have seen businesses in Windhoek ordered to reduce water consumption by 30%, AFP said. The report also said that Coca-Cola had taken out advertising in Namibian newspapers to warn of potential beverage shortages. Zimbabwe, Malawi and Mozambique have all issued drought alerts in recent months, AFP said.
Coca-Cola Sabco's Namibian office did not respond to just-drinks' request for comment
The water pressures will be a concern to Coca-Cola Sabco's partners in the creation of Coca-Cola Beverages Africa, which won approval from South African regulators this week. Sabco, The Coca-Cola Co and SABMiller will come together to form what is expected to be the world's tenth largest Coca-Cola bottler.
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Beam Suntory to invest US$1bn in Bourbon
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends