US: Coca-Cola Q3 profits rise, N America bucks trend
The soft drinks giant said today (17 October) that operating profit for the three months to the end of September rose by 10% on the corresponding period last year, reaching US$1.83bn. Sales for the period also rose, by 19% to $7.69bn.
Net profit followed suit, rising by 13% year-on-year to $1.65bn.
Coca-Cola credited the strong performance to an 8% climb in international volumes, despite the strong comparable period in Europe last year, where volumes slipped by 2%. Countering this, however, was double-digit volume growth emerging markets including China, Russia, India and Brazil.
The company also trumpeted a 1% rise in case volumes in North America, the first time the region has delivered a positive volume figure in the last five quarters.
"Once again, this strong performance was led by our international business," said company chairman and CEO, Neville Isdell. "Emerging market growth, combined with sequential improvement in North America, resulted in our third consecutive quarter of 6% unit case volume growth.
"Global sparkling beverage volume growth remained robust at 4%, and still beverages increased 14% as we focused on the highest value opportunities around the world.
"As we enter the final quarter of the year, we will continue to leverage our leading brands and strategic acquisitions and build our innovation pipeline while driving productivity."
PepsiCo is aiming to become the largest beverage company in Russia and its recent acquisition of a majority stake in the juice company, JSC Lebedyansky, represents an important step towards achieving ...
The Coca-Cola Co. has secured a placing for its Odwalla juice drinks portfolio in Caribou Coffee shops in the US....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The Coca-Cola Co. and Illycaffè have finalised their global joint venture, kickstarting it with the launch of three premium RTD coffee products across a number of European markets....
Trading in the securities of US soft drinks company Beverage Creations has been suspended, due to "manipulative forces or deceptive practices"....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has acquired a franchised Coca-Cola bottling company in Mexia, Texas....
The best-selling new US beverage in 2007 was Vault, a soft drink owned by Coca-Cola Co., which hit sales of $70m, according to industry analysts IRI....
The Coca-Cola Co.'s CEO was given a raise of over 3% last year, compared to what he took home the year before....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research