UK: Coca-Cola hits top spot in brand poll
Coca-Cola is the UK's biggest grocery brand by sales and brand value, according to a new survey.
The brand hit the number one spot in a league table for the top 100 grocery brands in the UK by value, a list complied by business consultancy Intangible Business and published last week.
Coca-Cola recorded sales of GBP1.15bn (US$2bn) in 2007.
However, although its sales increased slightly, its brand value fell by 1%. This was partly due to its brand strength rating falling by 2% and the total market for carbonated soft drinks reaching maturity, Intangible Business said.
Lucozade took the bronze medal with sales of GBP457m, knocking Cadbury Dairy Milk off the number three spot.
The value of the Lucozade brand increased 14% in 2008, with its brand score up 11%. The range of product flavours, variants and formats combined with consistent association with sports differentiates it from the competition, enabled it to dominate the functional sports and energy drinks sector.
Robinson made it to number seven with sales of GBP354m, while Red Bull moved three places to reach number nine with sales of GBP267m.
Some of the biggest movers included Innocent, which jumped 16 places to number 32 after a 47% rise in sales, and Capri Sun, which moved up 15 places to number 78 following a 24% increase in sales.
Stuart Whitwell, joint managing director of Intangible Business, said: "If, as expected, major supermarkets bring in more lines of own label products to compete with discount retailers, 2009 will see a fierce battle of brand owners.
"We have seen examples of this in 2008 with Princes losing out to John West, Coke increasing market share over Pepsi and Warburtons firmly establishing itself as the number one provider of baked goods. This will only get worse."
Leading UK smoothie maker Innocent Drinks this week risked the wrath of its fan base by selling up to a fifth of its business to one of the biggest corporations in the US - The Coca-Cola Co. Michelle ...
Proposed new legislation in Scotland aimed at tackling alcohol abuse has sparked huge debate. Chris Losh believes the plans display muddled thinking and fail once again to address the real cultural pr...
Stable government and an expanding economy have greatly improved the growth prospects for soft drinks producers in Nigeria. Moreover, writes Richard Corbett, strategic analyst at market analysts Canad...
One-off charges may have seen Dr Pepper Snapple swing to a loss for its full-year in 2008, but Michelle Russell discovers that analysts and investors remain positive about the soft drinks maker's pros...
The pouch appears to have been a packaging format for drinks that has never been either fashionable or popular. And yet, Capri Sun, a product so clearly identified by its pouch-and-straw format, is an...
US energy drinks company Who's Your Daddy (WYD) has signed an endorsement deal with heavyweight boxer Chris Arreola....
Cadbury has officially exited the soft drinks industry after completing the sale of its Australian Schweppes Beverages business to Japan's Asahi for A$1.18bn (US$762m)....
Red Bull's German division and packaging supplier Alpla Werke Alwin Lehner are being sued by world PET plastics giant M&G Group over an alleged patent infringement....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research