UK: Coca-Cola GB not drawn on Rooney drop talk
Coca-Cola GB signed Rooney in February for a push on its Powerade sports drink
Coca-Cola GB has declined to comment on reports that it is considering dropping Wayne Rooney as a sponsor of two of its brands.
The soft drinks giant signed up Manchester United and England football star Wayne Rooney in February for a push on its Powerade sports drink. Rooney has also supported Coke Zero since 2006, along with wife Coleen, as the company looked to push the brand as a drink for males and Diet Coke for females.
However, it is understood that Coca-Cola bosses in the US are "horrified and bewildered" at reports that the footballer slept with prostitutes while his wife was pregnant, and have requested that the London office sever all ties with the sports star.
When contacted by just-drinks today (13 September), a spokesperson for Coca-Cola GB said: "This is a private matter for Wayne Rooney and his family. We will be making no further comment at this time."
Following the retirement of our soft drinks & water commentator, Annette Farr, at the end of last year, just-drinks has doubled up. Starting this month, we have two new columnists considering the stat...
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down