MEXICO: Coca-Cola FEMSA's expenses outpace sales - analyst
An analyst has raised concern over Coca-Cola FEMSA's Q2 results, branding them "weak" and highlighting that operating expenses grew much faster than sales.
The Mexico-based firm revealed late yesterday (24 July) that first-half net profits rose 9% to MXN5.64bn (US$412m). However, Q2 profits were flat despite sales leaping 27.8% to MXN36.12bn.
Analysts at JP Morgan said the jump in Q2 net sales was driven "solely by pricing". "The currency neutral, organic sales growth of 12% came entirely from pricing," it said in a note.
Reported EBITDA grew 17% to MXN6.3bn, but only 7% of that growth was organic, "What jumps out is that operating expenses grew much faster than sales," the analysts said. These expenses include new IT system amortisation and investments in innovations in Mexico, as well as labour and logistic expenses in Venezuela, Argentina and Brazil, Coca-Cola FEMSA's management said in a conference call, according to JP Morgan.
Coca-Cola FEMSA also "toned down" its full-year expectations. "Earlier this year, management said EBITDA margin could be flat. Today, they said this is likely to be slightly down for the full year," JP Morgan said.
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages