MEXICO: Coca-Cola FEMSA to acquire majority stake in Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines
Coca-Cola FEMSA wants to seek opportunities in Asia
Coca-Cola FEMSA is to pay US$688.5m for a 51% stake in Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines as it looks to expand beyond Latin America.
The deal includes an option for FEMSA to buy the remaining stake at any time during the seven years after the deal closes, the Mexican company said today (14 December). The acquisition is expected to complete next year, FEMSA said.
FEMSA board chairman José Antonio Fernández Carbajal called the announcement a “milestone in the history of our group”, while CEO Carlos Salazar Lomelin said it strengthens the company's position in the global beverage industry.
The acquisition will be FEMSA's first outside Latin America and follows an admission earlier this year it is seeking opportunities further afield. Lomelin said at the time that Latin America's growth potential is becoming limited, while Asia offers room for development.
The process to buy the Philippines bottler was started in February when FEMSA announced it had signed a 12-month exclusivity agreement to evaluate the acquisition.
The operations includes 23 production plants serving about 800,000 customers, FEMSA said. The bottler is expected to sell about 530m unit cases this year.
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
FEMSA is the leading bottling company for The Coca-Cola Co in Mexico and globally. The company also manages a large retailing division under the OXXO brand with over 10,000 stores across the country a...
Even though locals still have a strong preference for standard fresh ground coffee, the increasing availability of more convenient alternatives (such as pods) in both traditional and modern grocery re...
As the carbonates competitive environment keeps changing, the Big Cola brand is consolidating its position among lower and even mid-income buyers, who are very attracted to the evident price differenc...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research