MEXICO/PHILIPPINES: Coca-Cola FEMSA in talks to buy Coca-Cola Philippines arm
The Mexican bottler has signed an exclusivity agreement to evaluate the potential acquisition, it said in a statement yesterday (21 February). Coca-Cola FEMSA is the largest public bottler of Coca-Cola globally and this would be its first acquisition outside Latin America.
The two companies have entered a 12-month agreement for the purchase of a controlling stake in the operations, the firms said.
“Both parties believe that Coca-Cola's expertise and successful track record operating in fragmented markets and emerging economies can be effectively deployed in this territory and contribute significantly towards expanding the penetration of, and consumer preference for, The Coca-Cola Co’s brands in this market,” Coca-Cola FEMSA said.
“This agreement does not require either party to enter into a transaction, and there can be no assurances that a definitive agreement will be executed,” it added.
Coca-Cola has owned all of its Philippines bottling unit since buying the majority 65% stake owned by San Miguel Corp. in 2007 for US$590m.
In December, Coca-Cola FEMSA made its third acquisition within six months after signing a deal to buy the drinks unit of fellow Mexican group Grupo Fomento Queretano.
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends