COLOMBIA: Coca-Cola FEMSA, Coca-Cola Co. snap up Bavaria's Brisa
The two companies confirmed today (7 August) that they have agreed to buy the bottled water business from SABMiller's Bavaria unit in the country. Coca-Cola FEMSA and Coca-Cola Co. will pay Bavaria US$92m for Brisa, which sold over 2.6m hectolitres of its still, sparkling and flavoured water brands in the last financial year.
"Through this acquisition, we will take another important step together with The Coca-Cola Co.," said Jose Antonio Fernandez Carbajal, chairman of Coca-Cola FEMSA and its parent company, FEMSA. "This transaction will expand our product portfolio to satisfy our consumers' preferences, reinforce our water strategy and continue to deliver value for our shareholders."
Karl Lippert, president of Bavaria, added: "The disposal of the water business will enable Bavaria to focus on its core strength, the brewing and distribution of beer and malted beverages. After closing, the transfer of assets and the commercial operation will be subject to a transition arrangement of several months, during which Bavaria will still be producing, selling and distributing Brisa."
The transaction is expected to close at some point between late 2008 and early 2009. Brisa's operations in Panama are excluded from the transaction.
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
The brewing sector has seen steady consolidation in recent years and 2008 was certainly no exception. Olly Wehring reviews a year which began with the protracted takeover of S&N by Heineken and Carlsb...
Coca-Cola FEMSA has announced the placement of a MXN2bn (US$139.4m) bond for use in general corporate purposes....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research