US: Coca-Cola Enterprises sees losses become profits in Q2
Coca-Cola Enterprises has reported a swing back into the black for its net profits in its latest quarter.
The soft drinks company said today (29 July) that net profits in the three months to the end of June came in at US$313m, comparing favourably to a net loss of $3.16bn in the corresponding period a year earlier. Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) noted, however, that the net loss in the same quarter last year had been impacted by net unfavourable items totalling $3.4bn, versus only $15m this quarter.
Net sales in the second quarter were flat, down by only 0.5% at $5.91bn. Operating profits hit $549m, compared to an operating loss a year earlier of $4.78bn.
"We have responded to macroeconomic conditions with solid brand and marketplace initiatives, including enhancements to our price/package architecture, and successful execution of efficiency and effectiveness programs," said CCE's chairman and CEO, John Brock.
"Our continued success will demand diligence in our revenue and brand building efforts, even stronger execution, and an absolute commitment to cost control. We continue to work closely with The Coca-Cola Co. to enhance the synergy of our system and achieve consistent, balanced growth."
The company said it expects full-year comparable 2009 earnings per diluted common share to be in the range of $1.44 to $1.49, up from the $1.24 to $1.29 range forecast in May.
For the official statement from CCE, click here.
For CCE's Q1 results, click here.
An update, with further comments following the company's webcast, appears here..
The soft drinks and water industries hailed the beginning of the 21st century as a brave, new world for the two categories. Looking back, Annette Farr hails the major role played by innovation over th...
Businesses and governments must do more to address looming shortages in raw materials, such as water and crops, in emerging markets, according to a new report on global risk....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research