US: Coca-Cola Enterprises Q1 profits, sales rise
Coca-Cola Enterprises has raised its profits guidance for 2009 after reporting a sales rise and a jump in net profits for the first quarter of the year.
Net profits soared to US$61m for the three-month period, up from $8m in the same period of 2008, Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) said today (28 April).
Net sales rose by 3% to $5bn for the three months, as higher prices helped to offset a sales volume decline of 0.5%.
Operating profits rose by 47% on a comparable basis to $92m, the soft drinks bottler said, adding that it has raised its operating profits guidance for the full-year from a low single-digit rise to a mid-single digit rise.
Diluted earnings per share are expected to be in a range of $1.24 to $1.29, including a 20% negative currency impact.
CCE chairman and CEO John Brock praised the group's efforts to grow revenues and cut costs in the first quarter, but remained cautious for the full-year.
"We remain cautious about the rest of the year, however, as the first quarter is our smallest reporting period and general economic conditions remain challenging, both in North America and Europe."
First quarter volume sales in North America fell by 3%, despite "solid growth" for Coca-Cola Zero, Powerade Zero and Monster Energy.
In Europe, CCE saw volume growth of 5.5% for the quarter, with rises in both carbonated and non-carbonated drinks.
In its outlook, CCE said that it expects full-year sales revenues in North America to increase in the low to mid single-digit range and Europe to rise in the mid single-digit range.
Innovation is a much banded-about word in the world of soft drinks. And nobody likes to bang on more about innovation than The Coca-Cola Co. The company's global strength and leading status stems from...
The Coca-Cola Co reported flat earnings on Tuesday (20 October), with lower-than-expected quarterly revenue hurt by the stronger US dollar. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
Coca-Cola Enterprises is looking to trial a bottle that the Coke bottler claims could reduce the carbon footprint of a traditional PET bottle by up to 25%....
Coca-Cola Co.'s Glacéau Vitaminwater XXX Triple Berry...
Coca-Cola Enterprises in France has appointed Tristan Farabet as its new CEO, after previous chief Jean-Pierre Bagard committed suicide....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has predicted that full-year earnings will hit the higher end of its guidance range, following a solid third quarter....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The head of Coca-Cola Enterprises in France has committed suicide, the soft drinks bottler has said....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report