MEXICO: Coca-Cola dismisses carcinogenic sweetener claims
Last week, the drinks giant was the subject of a campaign in Mexico, which cited a report by the US-based Center for Science in the Public Interest, suggesting that sodium cyclamate could "increases the potency of other carcinogens and harm the testes".
When contacted by just-drinks late last week, a spokesperson for Coca-Cola played down the fears. "There is no question about the safety of cyclamate, a low-calorie sweetener used in the formulation of Coke Zero in Mexico and in dozens of other countries around the world," he said.
"Sodium cyclamate has been approved by the health authorities in more than 50 countries and has been approved by the The World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Food Safety Authority."
Coca-Cola Zero was launched in Mexico last year. "Sodium cyclamate is used by the food and beverage industry in more than 50 countries and is used in Coke Zero in dozens of countries around the world, including Germany, Spain, Brazil, Taiwan and Greece," the spokesperson noted.
The company has no plans to change the formulation of Coke Zero in Mexico. "Mexican consumers have clearly expressed their preference for this brand and for its taste, as shown by the great performance Coca-Cola Zero has enjoyed since its introduction," the spokesperson noted. "We are confident that Mexican consumers will continue to enjoy Coca-Cola Zero."
Simply Orange Juice Co. is entering the third year of its offer to give US consumers a bag of fresh oranges if they do not agree that its juice tastes "as fresh as a juicy orange"....
Coca-Cola Icecek has launched Coca-Cola Zero in Turkey. The zero calorie brand has now been launched in over 50 countries, including the US and UK....
The Coca-Cola Co. paid around US$1.7m last year on Government lobbying in the US, according to recent records....
Coca-Cola Amatil has appointed Catherine Brenner to its board as a non-executive director, effective from 2 April....
The president and COO of the Coca-Cola Co. has been nominated by the soft drinks group's board of directors to stand for election as a director of the company at the Annual Meeting of Shareowners in A...
The Coca-Cola company has secured an extension of its beverage contract with US restaurant chain Wingstop....
The Coca-Cola Company has announced the company's 46th consecutive annual dividend increase, it has said, raising the quarterly dividend 12% from 34 cents to 38 cents per common share....
The Coca-Cola Co. has declared a long term goal to recycle or reuse all of the aluminium beverage cans that it sells in the US....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research