US: Coca-Cola Co's Powerade to sponsor NCAA championships
Powerade will be available on the sidelines during all 88 NCAA championships
The Coca-Cola Co is to build on Powerade's partnership with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) by sponsoring the association's championships.
The soft drinks giant said on Monday (9 November) that, through its corporate agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Sports, Powerade will become "official sports drink of the NCAA".
The sports drink will be available on the sidelines during all 88 meetings in the NCAA championships, beginning with the division three men's and women's cross country championships in mid-November.
"Powerade is on the sidelines for some of the most prominent sporting events in the world, including the recently completed FIFA World Cup," said Bob Cramer, vice president of sports marketing at Powerade. "Considering the Powerade brand's recent commitment to the larger college family and the strides made in product innovation, we believe it's an excellent fit for NCAA championships," he said.
Coca-Cola has a 13-year association with the NCAA.
Last month, the firm signed a deal to become the official tournament supplier of non-alcoholic beverages to the Rugby World Cup 2011. Coca-Cola will provide all 20 participating teams with water and Powerade.
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Bacardi-Martini appoints Southern Europe chief
- William Grant gives Sailor Jerry pack revamp