UAE: Coca-Cola Co withdraws 30cl cans on law violation
Coca-Cola violated rules for reducing the size of its Dh1.50 can from 35ml to 30ml and removed the price tag
The Coca-Cola Co has said it will withdraw its 30cl soft drinks cans in the United Arab Emirates after they were found to violate consumer protection law.
According to UAE Ministry of Economy, both Coca-Cola and PepsiCo violated rules when they reduced the size of their AED1.50 (US$0.41) can from 35cl to 30cl and removed the price tag without prior official approval. Both firm's products were said to have been sold without a price nor the Arabic labelling of the ingredients - a violation of Article (8) of the Consumer Protection Law.
However, in a statement today (22 February), a spokesperson for Coca-Cola said that, like other soft drinks manufacturers, its producer in the UAE, Al Ahlia Gulf Line (AGL), was asked to remove the cans from the market.
"The 30cl cans of Coca-Cola, Sprite and Fanta products were only available in restaurants, hotels, catering and coffee shops and were not distributed to other retail outlets, such as supermarkets and groceries," the spokesperson said. "AGL confirms that it is taking necessary steps to comply and to replace the 30cl cans to minimise any inconvenience to customers and consumers."
PepsiCo could not be reached for comment.
This month, Ray Rowlands turns the spotlight on ThaiBev and explores how, by stealth and shrewd planning, the liquor conglomerate has also developed into a leading player in the Thai soft drinks marke...
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Kirin eyes expansion after Byron Bay Brewing buy
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?