US: Coca-Cola Co to sue Aldi over 'Simply' line
Coca-Cola Co said it will “rigorously protect and defend” its 'Simply' line
The Coca-Cola Co said it will "rigorously protect and defend" its 'Simply' line of juices after filing a lawsuit against Aldi for infringement of patents of the brand.
The suit, filed on 24 September in the US District Court in Atlanta, claims the German retailer's 'Nature's Nectar' juice brand uses packaging that infringes on Coca-Cola's patents for its 'Simply' range.
The soft drinks maker is understood to be seeking a jury trial for punitive damages, profits Aldi gained from the alleged infringement, attorney's fees and other damages, Bizjournals reported earlier this week.
A spokesperson for Simply brand-owner Glaceau, which Coca-Cola bought in 2007 said: "Simply has made significant investments in building the brand based on the distinctive and iconic look of its packaging, and we will rigorously protect and defend the brand against potential trademark infringement."
Coca-Cola began selling the Simply juices line in 2001. The beverage is sold in a carafe-shaped, clear plastic bottle with a green enclosure. The firm is said to have "several" patents on this design.
A spokesperson for Aldi said: "We have no comment on this issue."
The recent attempt by Asahi Breweries of Japan to buy P&N Beverages has led Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd to delve into the bedrock of the current ownership status of Australia's beverage industry wi...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China