UK: Coca-Cola Co to launch "slimline" Coca-Cola can
Coca-Cola says the new cans will better fit household budgets
The Coca-Cola Co is launching a 25cl can across its flagship Coca-Cola portfolio in the UK as it steps up moves to cut calories in its products.
The "slimline" can will go on sale in the off-trade from the middle of this month, Coca-Cola Great Britain & Ireland announced on Friday (5 July). The Coca-Cola version will contain 105 calories per can, compared to 139 for a 33cl can, the company said.
A Coca-Cola GB & Ireland spokesperson told just-drinks the 25cl can has been launched in a limited roll-out in Belgium and is already available in the Netherlands. It will be introduced into more European countries in coming months, the spokesperson said.
A Coca-Cola Germany spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks that a 25cl can is already available in the country, alongside a 15cl can.
GM for Coca-Cola GB & Ireland Jon Woods said: “(The new packaging) forms part of our on-going commitment to provide the people who enjoy our drinks with greater choice in terms of calories and portion size, supporting our goal of helping to promote greater awareness of energy balance in diets across the UK.”
The new can, which will cost GBP0.49 (US$0.73), also has a lower price point than bigger cans, which Woods says is important in today's economy. “The slimline cans offer people a handy Coca-Cola, Diet Coke or Coca-Cola Zero at great value, which is really important as we know affordability is high on the agenda for many British shoppers,” he said.
Coca-Cola has taken a number of steps in the UK this year to reduce calories in its sugared products, including reformulating Sprite to contain stevia.
Last week, Coca-Cola announced the launch of Coca-Cola Life in Argentina, the company's first stevia-based Coca-Cola branded product.
It has also made changes to bottle sizes - last year it unveiled the 37.5cl bottle, which was the company’s first new on-the-go pack size launch in almost 20 years, it said.
Meanwhile, the Coca-Cola GB & Ireland spokesperson confirmed that the company will move its HQ to a central London office from its base in Hammersmith next year.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
The Brazilian unit of The Coca-Cola Co has been ordered to pay compensation to the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) for the improper use of images in an advertising campaign in the country....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China