US: Coca-Cola Co. settles benzene lawsuit
The Coca-Cola Company has settled a legal spat in the US concerning the presence of benzene in some of its drinks.
The company confirmed yesterday (14 May) that it will reformulate the ingredients of its Vault Zero and Fanta Pineapple products in light of the settlement, as well as offering refunds or replacements to consumers.
Coca-Cola's move follows earlier settlements in the case with Talking Rain, makers of Talking Rain Sparkling Juice, In Zone, makers of Bellywashers, and Meridian Beverage Company, manufacturers of AquaCal flavoured waters.
However, among the companies still being charged in the lawsuits are PepsiCo, Sunny Delight, Shasta Beverages - a division of the National Beverage Company, Rockstar Brewing, Polar Beverages, Safeway Stores, and Publix Supermarkets.
The lawsuits were filed in courts in New Jersey, Massachusetts, Florida, Kansas and California.
In August, Coca-Cola dismissed claims that some of its brands contained benzene, which has been linked with leukaemia. The drinks company said that the lawsuit which made the claims was more about "lining lawyers' pockets" than about consumer safety.
San Miguel Corporation has posted a marked slide in operating profit for the first nine months of this year....
Coca-Cola FEMSA and The Coca-Cola Co. have successfully completed the acquisition of Mexico-based juice company Jugos del Valle....
The Coca-Cola Co. has been asked by national campaigners to reveal the source of its Dasani brand bottled water in the US....
UK soft drinks group Britvic has unveiled plans for an advertising campaign in the UK for its Pepsi Max brand featuring exclusive music and footage of the US hip hop group Black Eyed Peas....
PepsiAmericas and PepsiCo have completed their purchase of the remaining shares in Ukrainian juice company Sandora....
PepsiCo has realigned its company structure in an effort to "more fully leverage the talents of its senior leaders"....
Unilever has insisted it is "confident" of meeting its full-year financial targets despite restructruring charges hitting quarterly profits....
K&N Value Select Corp has said that it aims to buy a stake in The Coca-Cola Co. via a five for four exchange offer....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- China to axe duty on Australian wine
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research