CHINA: Coca-Cola Co recalls contaminated Minute Maid
Coca-Cola recalled products in three provinces
The Coca-Cola Co's Greater China unit has recalled 19,000 cases of Minute Maid dairy drink after fears they are contaminated with a bacteria that can cause botulism.
In a statement on its website today (5 August), the unit said the products contain contaminated whey protein from New Zealand firm Fonterra, which over the weekend confirmed it had exported tainted ingredients to five countries, including China. The recalled Minute Maid Pineapple Pulpy Milky products are in Guangdong, Yunnan and Guangxi provinces, however, Coca-Cola said because of the heat-treatment process it uses, there is no risk to consumers.
Fonterra's CEO has reportedly apologised to consumers over the health scare. On Friday Fonterra said a batch of its whey protein, produced in May last year, contained a strain of the clostridium bacteria. Clostridium can cause the potentially fatal illness botulism.
Fonterra said there have been no reports of illness linked to the affected whey protein.
In 2008, China experienced a contaminated milk scandal in which six babies died and 300,000 people fell ill. The chairwoman of the company at the heart of the scandal, Sanlu Group, was sentenced to life in jail.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
The health and wellness industry continued its remarkable growth trend during 2012 by reaching Mx$300 billion meaning an 8% increase during the year, although this was lower than the 9% growth of 2011...
The Coca-Cola Co's has teamed up with Spanish footballer Andrés Iniesta to launch a global ad push for its Powerade sports drink brand. ...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
Danone is the global leader in bottled water. Danone has been successful at developing local and regional brands in emerging markets to support growth. In 2012, Bonafont, based almost entirely on Mexi...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014