MEXICO: Coca-Cola Co plans US$8.2bn investment
Coca-Cola has lost volumes in Mexico
The Coca-Cola Co has pledged to invest US$8.2bn in Mexico over the next six years despite the country's government having introduced a sugar tax.
The move, announced by Coca-Cola Mexico president Francisco Crespo yesterday (16 July), continues the soft drinks maker's roughly $1bn-a-year investment in the North American country since 2009. Crespo called it a “reaffirmation” of Coca-Cola's funding promise that will last until 2020.
The investment will be in partnership with Coca-Cola's Mexican bottling partners, bringing Coca-Cola's combined investment in Mexico from 2012 to 2020 to $12.4bn, the company said.
The announcement comes as Coca-Cola volumes in Mexico take a slight hit because of the introduction of a MXN1 (US$0.08) per litre tax on “sugar-sweetened” beverages in January. In its first-quarter results, Coca-Cola posted a low single-digit volumes decline in Mexico that it blamed on the tax.
Mexico is not the only country where Coca-Cola is spending heavily. In 2012, the company pledged it would invest $5bn in India by 2020.
Fruit and Vegetable Juice Market in Mexico to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
This industry report offers the most up-to-date market data on the actual market situation, trends and future outlook for fruit and vegetable juice in Mexico. The research includes historic market dat...read more
Coca-Cola face a challenging situation in which economic recovery is fragile in developed markets, while China and Brazil are seeing a slowdown in sales. Consumers’ desire for diverse and healthy beve...
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
The company is looking to enhance its core capabilities of consumer marketing, commercial leadership, franchise leadership, and bottling and distribution operations to drive its sales growth and profi...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets