US: Coca-Cola Co, PepsiCo post diet soda declines - figures
Coca-Cola beat PepsiCo in the regular CSD category
According to analysts CLSA, citing SymphonyIRI numbers released today (7 March), PepsiCo's regular CSD sales fell by 1.9% in the 12 weeks to 23 February. In the same period, Coca-Cola increased category sales by 1%.
Coca-Cola's diet drinks, however, fared worse, down 7.8% in the 12-week period. PepsiCo also struggled in the period, with its diet beverages losing 7.9% of sales year-on-year.
The numbers help confirm fears in the US market that diet soft drinks are falling out of favour with consumers because of health concerns over artificial sweeteners. In October, Dr Pepper Snapple Group's CEO said he was “shocked” by the decline in diet sodas, and in August Coca-Cola launched a US ad campaign backing artificial sweetener aspartame.
Coca-Cola's performance in the regular CSD category, however, will be a boost to the company, which along with the soft drinks industry has seen CSD volumes in the US drop over the past two years. In fourth-quarter results released last month, Coca-Cola posted a 3% volumes drop in North American sparkling volumes. The drop helped drive a disappointing Q4 that dragged down FY numbers.
PepsiCo, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and se...
PepsiCo has unveiled two new flavours in its Mountain Dew energy range Kickstart....
Synopsis Canadean's "Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Ex-Diageo exec takes over Island Club spirits
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets