US: Coca-Cola Co, PepsiCo post diet soda declines - figures
Coca-Cola beat PepsiCo in the regular CSD category
According to analysts CLSA, citing SymphonyIRI numbers released today (7 March), PepsiCo's regular CSD sales fell by 1.9% in the 12 weeks to 23 February. In the same period, Coca-Cola increased category sales by 1%.
Coca-Cola's diet drinks, however, fared worse, down 7.8% in the 12-week period. PepsiCo also struggled in the period, with its diet beverages losing 7.9% of sales year-on-year.
The numbers help confirm fears in the US market that diet soft drinks are falling out of favour with consumers because of health concerns over artificial sweeteners. In October, Dr Pepper Snapple Group's CEO said he was “shocked” by the decline in diet sodas, and in August Coca-Cola launched a US ad campaign backing artificial sweetener aspartame.
Coca-Cola's performance in the regular CSD category, however, will be a boost to the company, which along with the soft drinks industry has seen CSD volumes in the US drop over the past two years. In fourth-quarter results released last month, Coca-Cola posted a 3% volumes drop in North American sparkling volumes. The drop helped drive a disappointing Q4 that dragged down FY numbers.
PepsiCo, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and se...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Coca-Cola face a challenging situation in which economic recovery is fragile in developed markets, while China and Brazil are seeing a slowdown in sales. Consumers’ desire for diverse and healthy beve...
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research