US: Coca-Cola Co, PepsiCo lose share to private label - analyst
The Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo have both lost market share to private label in Western Europe
In the four-week period, private label beverage sales grew in value terms by 8.8%, the analysts reported today (4 January). This compared to 5.2% sales growth for Coca-Cola's brands in the region and 7% growth for PepsiCo's drinks brands.
The private label beverage category saw total volumes climb by 6.6% in the four-week period, the analysts noted, with non-CSDs gaining the most ground, with 35.5% sales growth.
For Coca-Cola, while sales in the UK rose by 5.6% during the period, volumes declined by 6.5%. The company's brands lost 122 basis points of UK market share year-on-year, to 27.6%. However, in France, Coca-Cola's sales grew by 4.2%, with volumes climbing by 0.6%, the analysts said.
For PepsiCo, while the company gained market share in CSDs in Western Europe, it lost share in the non-CSDs and sports & energy categories.
In the fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper continues his consideration of the environmental sustainability of the soft drinks and bottled water categories. Here, Ben ...
In the penultimate part of this month's management briefing, looking at environmental sustainability in the soft drinks and bottled water sectors, Ben Cooper considers efforts to reduce the use of ene...
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends