UK: Coca-Cola Co drops Rooney
Wayne Rooney was also the face of Coca-Cola's Powerade beverage
The Coca-Cola Co has ended its sponsorship deal with footballer Wayne Rooney in the UK.
The soft drinks firm scrapped plans for a campaign featuring footballer Wayne Rooney in October last year, following allegations that he had slept with prostitutes.
At the time, the company said that it did not deem the promotion appropriate due to the allegations surrounding the Manchester United and England footballer's personal life.
However, today (6 April), Coca-Cola Great Britain confirmed that it had ended its contract with Rooney last year.
"We mutually agreed that we would not renew our relationship," Coca-Cola GB said in a statement.
"Our marketing plans have evolved to focus on our sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and the upcoming launch of our plans for the Olympic Torch Relay," said the group. "We wish Wayne well in his career."
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US