CANADA: Coca-Cola Co defends protest 'monitoring'
Coca-Cola defended itself against the WikiLeak claims
The Coca-Cola Co has defended its use of private investigators to track potential protests by animal rights group PETA in the lead-up to the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
According to internal emails released yesterday (27 February) on the WikiLeaks whistleblower website, the US soft drinks giant asked Texas-based Stratfor to find out "what kind of support PETA had in Canada". It also asked what PETA's methods were for carrying out protests and the extent to which the activist group might be "connected to anarchist groups".
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Coca-Cola defended the soft drinks maker's actions ahead of the Vancouver Winter Olympics. "We consider it prudent to monitor for protest activities at any major event we sponsor, as such activities may affect our partners, customers, consumers or employees," the spokesperson said today.
The emails to Stratfor were reportedly obtained by the online hacker collective known as Anonymous, the Vancouver Sun reported, before being passed on to WikiLeaks.
The flags have been folded away, the medals handed out and the Olympic flag handed to the Mayor of Rio: London 2012 is over and Richard Corbett, like many, enjoyed it. But, did sports drinks producers...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report