US: Coca-Cola Co calls time on 6.5oz glass bottles - report
The Coca-Cola Co has sold soda in glass bottles for decades
The Coca-Cola Co has ceased production of its 6.5oz returnable glass bottles after a final run in a small US plant, according to a local report.
The bottles, which consumers could return for a US$0.20 deposit, are no longer economically viable, the Minnesotan bottler told AP. The last refilling run was on Tuesday (9 October), the report said.
The glass bottles were only sold in four counties in the state but had been made there since 1932, AP said. Eight-ounce bottles, which have less glass but hold more cola, are still available nation-wide.
Some 6,000 bottles were refilled in the final run and will be sold for US$20 each to raise money for charity, according to the report.
No one at Coca-Cola was immediately available for comment when contacted by just-drinks earlier today.
The concentrates market remains in rude health, with both developed and emerging markets for soft drinks offering great rewards. Here, Jonas Feliciano from Euromonitor takes a closer look at the categ...
PepsiCo has launched the latest global advertising campaign for its Pepsi CSD range, featuring US singer Beyonce Knowles....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends