EGYPT: Coca-Cola cleared of blasphemy by Muslim leaders
Coca-Cola breathed a sigh of relief yesterday when Muslim religious leaders in Egypt cleared the brand of containing blasphemy within its logo.Coca-Cola had contacted Egypt's top religious leader, the mufti, to put a stop to rumours that the 114-year-old logo contained the words "No Mohammed, No Mecca" in Arab script. The multi-national company had feared a boycott of the product.The mufti, Nasr Farid Wasel, scrutinised the logo before he concluded: "There was no defamation to the religion of Islam from near or far." His edict then went on to remind followers that anyone spreading false claims "would be plunged into hell for 70 autumns."Coca-Cola spokesman Mahmoud Hamdi said of those believing the rumours: "They have a lot of imagination. Who would have thought that anyone would try to read English letters in Arabic? Why not read the Coca-Cola logo in Hindi."The rumour spread in February, when Egyptians began receiving emails carrying the mirror image of the logo and calling for the faithful to boycott the brand. Hamdi said that soon leaflets carrying the claim appeared in markets. Similar claims had arisen and been crushed in Saudi Arabia last year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research