US: Coca-Cola bottling reports disappointing sales
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. announced it earned US$1.4m or $.16 per share for the first quarter of 2003. This compares to net income of US$3.4m or $.39 per share for the first quarter of 2002.
The company said sales were especially poor in the high margin cold drink channels. Net sales were up 1.3% reflecting a 1% increase in bottle/can volume, higher contract sales and a small decrease in average revenue per case. Volume was up 4% in our take home channels, but was down 5% in our cold drink channels.
J. Frank Harrison, III, chairman and CEO, said: "The company's financial results in the first quarter were disappointing. Our financial results reflect lower margins driven by softer than anticipated sales, particularly in our cold drink channels, higher benefit costs as well as the fixed nature of many of our operating expenses."
Harrison said: "The shift of the Easter holiday from March in 2002 to April in 2003 impacts first quarter volume comparisons, primarily in the take home channels. Severe weather led to closings of businesses in portions of our territories in the first quarter, which reduced sales in the Company's cold drink channels."
He went on: "Despite the disappointing earnings, cash flow continues to be strong as reflected by a decrease in debt and lease liabilities of more than $20 million over the past twelve months, despite the March 28, 2003 purchase of half of The Coca-Cola Company's interest in Piedmont Coca-Cola Bottling Partnership for $53.5 million."
Companies: Coca-Cola Bottling
Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated has declared a dividend for the fourth quarter of 2005 of US$0.25 per share on shares of the the North Carolina-based soft drinks company's common stock and cla...
The North Carolina-based soft drinks bottler, Coca-Cola Bottling Co., posted earnings for the second quarter of 2005 of US$11.5m, against US$10.6m in the second quarter of 2004....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. has declared a dividend for the third quarter of 2005 of US$.25 per share on shares of the company's common stock and class B common stock payable on August 26, 2005, to shareho...
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated has announced that it has closed its debenture exchange offer....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated has announced the expiration of the early participation period related to its offer to exchange new Senior Notes for debentures....
Coca-Cola Bottling Co. has seen its Q1 net income plunge....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
Workers at Coca-Cola bottling and distribution facilities in Hartford, Connecticut and the Los Angeles area are on strike....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future