MEXICO: Coca-Cola appeals monopoly fine
The Coca-Cola Co.'s Mexican unit has been hit by a fine for monopoly practices in the country.
The soft drinks giant was earlier this week stung by a MXN10.5m (US$970,000) fine after the Federal Competition Commission found that Coca-Cola Export had demanded retailers sign exclusive contracts with the company. The commission also noted that Coca-Cola Export, as the company is known in Mexico, had offered discounts to distribution and retail companies in return for exclusivity. The charges date back to August 2000 following a complaint from PepsiCo.
Coca-Cola Export is appealing the fine.
Yesterday (30 May), the company said that it has created a fiduciary trust in an amount equal to the fine. The interest generated by these funds will be directed towards "strengthening training programs to modernise the traditional retail channel in Mexico", the company said.
Coca-Cola Export also said that of the 91 companies initially charged in the case - the majority of which are independent Coke bottlers in Mexico - there are only 15 appeals pending resolution by the circuit courts, and five in the Supreme Court.
"None of the courts involved in the bottler cases have ruled against them, and the vast majority have had the original CFC charges dismissed as the charges were declared illegal by said courts," the company concluded.
PepsiCo has confirmed that it plans to reduce its stake in its bottler PepsiAmericas, according to a recent filing....
Coca-Cola North America has unveiled a new television advert aimed at family audiences across the US....
Ukrainian juice company Sandora has announced plans to launch two new production lines for juice packaging in Tetra Pak cartons, according to local reports....
PepsiCo has given details of its latest quarterly dividend....
The Coca-Cola Co. is bracing itself for a fresh ethical onslaught in the UK next week....
The Coca-Cola Company has distanced itself from an "unsolicited" mini-tender offer launched by investment holding company K&N Value Select Corp....
PepsiCo has reaffirmed its guidance for 2007....
Coca-Cola India is reportedly in talks to create a joint venture in the country with Tata Tea....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research