US: Coca-Cola and Cadbury linked with Evian in US
The owner of the Evian mineral water brand, Danone, is reportedly in talks with both Coca-Cola and Cadbury-Schweppes which could lead to one of the soft drinks groups licensing and distributing Evian in the US.
Such a deal would provide a boost to the Evian brand which has struggled in the last year or so as more competitively priced purified water brands, such as Coke's Dasani and PepsiCo's Aquafina brands, have grown.
Danone, which also owns the Dannon spring water, Sparkletts and Volvic brands, some private-labels and a water-delivery business, is still the fourth largest bottled water company in the US but Evian's sales fell by 5% last year in a market which grew by 30%.
While none of the three companies would comment on the current speculation, Danone's chief executive, Franck Riboud, was reported to have said last month that the company was discussing a distribution agreement with Coca-Cola.
Riboud has attributed Evian's decline in the US to distribution problems. About 60% of Evian's distribution in the US is already through the major Coke bottler, Coca-Cola Enterprises. Pepsi bottlers and independents account for the other 40%.
Danone may well feel that entering into a full licensing agreement with either Coca-Cola or Cadbury Schweppes would make the brand a higher priority with the bottlers and give it added marketing muscle and more integrated and organised distribution.
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
PepsiCo has confirmed that it is to drop its low-calorie drink Pepsi Edge....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
PepsiCo is rolling out a lime version of its Pepsi and Diet Pepsi brands....
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
PepsiAmericas yesterday reported a small rise in first quarter net income and earnings per share to US$20.8m and US$0.15 respectively. The results compares to net income of US$20.5m US$0.14 for the fi...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future