AUS/NZ: Coca-Cola Amatil to handle Molson Coors, C&C Group brands
CCA runs a brewing JV with Casella
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) has signed “long-term exclusive” deals to distribute Molson Coors and C&C Group beer and cider brands as the Australia-based group moves deeper into the alcohol beverage market.
CCA will handle Molson Coors' premium brands in Australia from 16 December, the company said in first-half results today (20 August). C&C brands including Gaymer's cider will be distributed in New Zealand and the Pacific region by CCA, where it already handles Molson Coors labels.
Terry Davis, CCA's MD, said the move will give the company access to premium and craft beer's AUD300m (US$272m) profit pool in Australia at little extra infrastructure cost. “The profit pool in Australian alcohol is at higher margins than the whole non-alcohol beverage market, of which we have about 80% anyway,” Davis said in a call with analysts today.
CCA has distributed Beam Inc brands since 2006 and last year signed a brewing JV with winery Casella. The JV owns a brewery in New South Wales, which will produce the Molson Coors brands for the Australian market. Davis said the brewery has 10% of Australia's total premium beer capacity.
“We have a great draught capability and Australia's most versatile brewery,” Davis said, adding that he is confident of securing more brands to brew at the facility.
It is unclear which Molson Coors labels CCA will initially handle, but the company said it will release more information in December. A Molson Coors spokesperson told just-drinks today it does not currently distribute its brands in Australia.
CCA today also signed a ten-year extension to its Beam partnership.
The group's first-half results saw a drop in profits and sales because of weaknesses in Australian grocer channels.
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Beam, as the world’s fourth largest international spirits company and seventh largest overall, should be in a strong position. In some ways it is, however, it suffers from a large proportion of its vo...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing....
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research