AUS: Coca-Cola Amatil eyes overseas growth as home market struggles
CCA released a trading update yesterday
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) has returned to growth in New Zealand & Fiji as continued strong performances in Indonesia helped boost a mixed first four months of the year.
In a trading update yesterday (7 May), the Sydney-based bottler said volumes increased by about 4% in New Zealand & Fiji in the four-month period. In full-year 2012 results, released in February, the region dragged profits growth.
Group MD Terry Davis called New Zealand & Fiji the “highlight” of the year so far, along with Indonesia, which posted a 10% sales and volumes jump.
Australian beverages fared less well and the company predicted a decline in volumes and earnings for the first half of the year “due to the poorer grocery channel performance”.
Davis said CCA will up its market support and promotional activity in Australia to fight back against increased competition. “Whilst this has an impact on short-term price realisation and hence profitability, we believe that, in the medium- to long-term, it is the right course of action,” he said.
CCA's share price dropped by about 10% after the trading update was released yesterday.
Davis said the company remains on track with plans to enter the beer market. “I have no doubt we will have a strong portfolio of international beer brands to kick off in 2014,” he said.
To read the trading update, click here.
Fledgling New Zealand spirits group Stolen Rum is upping its focus on Australia after signing a distribution deal with Beam Inc. ...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015