AUS: Coca-Cola Amatil closes on US$60m Pacific Islands deal
Coca-Cola Amatil already has a soft drinks presence in Fiji
The deal gives CCA an 89.6% shareholding in Foster’s Group Pacific Limited (FGPL) and control of the Fijian and Samoan facilities, CCA announced today (7 September). CCA said it does not intend to buy the remaining stake in FGPL, with any future bids for the minority share subject to approval by Fiji's central bank.
Today's announcement follows SABMiller's takeover of Foster's last year, which gave CCA, which operated which operated a beer JV partne with SABMiller, the right to acquire Foster's Australian spirits and non-alcoholic beverages operations and the Fijian and Samoan plants. In March, CCA turned down the chance to buy Foster's Australian spirits business.
The firm said it will invest AUD15m in the Pacific Island facilities, which produce Fiji Bitter beer and Bounty Rum.
CCA Group MD Terry Davis said Fiji Bitter and Bounty Rum are “Fijian icons”, with the potential to become high-quality export brands with a global market.
“We are not new to Fiji,” Davis said. “We have operated a successful non-alcoholic beverages business in Fiji since 1993 and fully understand the great potential of ‘Brand Fiji'.
Davis added that the acquisition will complement CCA’s strategy in the Pacific and New Zealand, where the company has “multi-year distribution agreements” with Grupo Modelo, Carlsberg and Molson Coors, including a ten-year agreement with Beam Inc.
Last month, CCA lined up its return to brewing in Australia with a proposed JV with Casella Wines.
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- The global beer category - The facts
- Heineken Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research