AUS: Coca-Cola Amatil closes on US$60m Pacific Islands deal
Coca-Cola Amatil already has a soft drinks presence in Fiji
The deal gives CCA an 89.6% shareholding in Foster’s Group Pacific Limited (FGPL) and control of the Fijian and Samoan facilities, CCA announced today (7 September). CCA said it does not intend to buy the remaining stake in FGPL, with any future bids for the minority share subject to approval by Fiji's central bank.
Today's announcement follows SABMiller's takeover of Foster's last year, which gave CCA, which operated which operated a beer JV partne with SABMiller, the right to acquire Foster's Australian spirits and non-alcoholic beverages operations and the Fijian and Samoan plants. In March, CCA turned down the chance to buy Foster's Australian spirits business.
The firm said it will invest AUD15m in the Pacific Island facilities, which produce Fiji Bitter beer and Bounty Rum.
CCA Group MD Terry Davis said Fiji Bitter and Bounty Rum are “Fijian icons”, with the potential to become high-quality export brands with a global market.
“We are not new to Fiji,” Davis said. “We have operated a successful non-alcoholic beverages business in Fiji since 1993 and fully understand the great potential of ‘Brand Fiji'.
Davis added that the acquisition will complement CCA’s strategy in the Pacific and New Zealand, where the company has “multi-year distribution agreements” with Grupo Modelo, Carlsberg and Molson Coors, including a ten-year agreement with Beam Inc.
Last month, CCA lined up its return to brewing in Australia with a proposed JV with Casella Wines.
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future