US: Coca-Cola accused of Glaceau fall-out - report
The Coca-Cola Co. has fallen out with a number of smaller Glaceau Vitaminwater distributors over its plans to put 65% of its sales through its own distribution networks across the US, according to reports.
A spokesperson for the soft drinks company was cited in the Wall Street Journal today (14 September) saying: "We believe we've established a powerful distribution system that will continue to create success for these brands."
However, many distributors, which believe they have contributed to the success of Glaceau Vitaminwater, have vowed to stop Coke taking away its territory. A number of distribution companies are have taken legal action over the matter.
A lawsuit filed by B&E Juices, which distributes Glaceau brands in Connecticut, claimed that the maker of Glaceau products Energy Brands does not have legal grounds to cancel its contract under Connecticut franchise law.
The small distributors have argued that big soft-drink bottlers only concentrate on large-scale brands and outlets and have mediocre track records when it comes to hip niche drinks like Glaceau.
Coca-Cola Enterprises spokesperson John Downs was cited in the report as saying: "We're pretty confident about our ability to be able to execute this."
No-one was immediately available for comment at Coca-Cola when contacted by just-drinks today.
The best-selling new US beverage in 2007 was Vault, a soft drink owned by Coca-Cola Co., which hit sales of $70m, according to industry analysts IRI....
Anheuser Busch has responded to recent legal threats from an activist group in the US over its caffeinated alcoholic drinks, suggesting the group is simply interested in generating publicity....
Cobra Beer has appointed another former Beam Global Spirits & Wine employee, this time to fill the newly-created role of on-trade channel controller....
The Coca-Cola Co.'s CEO was given a raise of over 3% last year, compared to what he took home the year before....
Simply Orange Juice Co. is entering the third year of its offer to give US consumers a bag of fresh oranges if they do not agree that its juice tastes "as fresh as a juicy orange"....
Coca-Cola Icecek has launched Coca-Cola Zero in Turkey. The zero calorie brand has now been launched in over 50 countries, including the US and UK....
The Coca-Cola Co. paid around US$1.7m last year on Government lobbying in the US, according to recent records....
Coca-Cola Amatil has appointed Catherine Brenner to its board as a non-executive director, effective from 2 April....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research