UK: Cobra Beer silent on Molson Coors, Wilbur Ross interest
Both Molson and Ross are eying a deal for Cobra, according to a report in last week's Financial Times and a story in the Economic Times of India a week earlier.
Cobra, which has brewing operations in India and sells its namesake beer in the UK, was put up for sale by owner Lord Bilimoria last autumn.
A spokesperson for the company did not deny interest from Molson and Ross when contacted by just-drinks yesterday (21 April), but refused to comment on the matter.
Separately, Cobra had hoped to complete a sale by the end of March, but the process has been delayed, a source familiar with the situation told just-drinks earlier this month.
Commenting on speculation that a deal is near completion, another source close to the company told just-drinks this week that the sale process has not yet reached the final stages.
Cobra said in December that it would be willing to split its Indian and UK operations in order to secure a sale.
Cobra saw volume sales rise 21% in the six months to the end of January, against a UK beer market down 5.5% by volume in 2008, but the company is not thought to be profitable in its current form.
Minimum pricing for alcohol is dividing both the drinks trade and the politicians, but last week's damning response from the Office of Fair Trading could mean the policy never sees the light of day....
Both Anheuser-Busch InBev - purveyor of the president's favorite tipple - Bud Light - and MillerCoors are raising prices at the same time, during a recession and while beer demand is slumping. With an...
SABMiller CEO Graham Mackay has reiterated that the group is interested in acquisitions, but the brewer has not been as inactive in the last 18 months as some may suppose....
The last few weeks has seen a large number of companies report their interim results, an opportunity to see whether the performance across a wide range of drinks companies from around the world suppor...
Molson Coors UK has officially launched the Cobra Beer Partnership, backed by a GBP10m (US$16m), three-year marketing campaign....
Scotland's Government is ignoring advice from competition officials and intends to press ahead with its plan to set a minimum price on alcoholic drinks, claiming the policy could save hundreds of live...
Molson Coors Brewing Company has expanded the distribution of its Coors Light beer brand in the US....
The UK's leading drinks manufacturers have appointed Seymour Fortescue as the first non-industry chairman of self-regulatory body the Portman Group....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets